If you’ve never known two things about me, you’re going to find them out now.
1. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Mexican food. Did I mention I love Mexican food? [insert non-existent, but desperately needed taco emoji here]
2. As a mom (and a self-taught, maybe aspiring, home cook), I always try to make healthier versions of meals my family loves.
So, whenever an opportunity comes to combine the above two points, I jump at it!
This is where the Mexi-cauli Bowl comes in. Since my hip injury and restrictive physical limits, I’ve been leaning towards gluten-free meals to help me keep my nutrition in check as well work on some digestive and allergen issues that are trying to creep up with the little one.
Doesn’t this dish look amazing?!?!
Here’s what you need to get and do to make this awesome dish!
- 1 head cauliflower (or about 1 lb. cauliflower florets)
- 1 lb. fresh spinach, washed
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 ear fresh sweet corn
- 1 – 8 oz. can of tomato sauce
- Taco seasoning mix, 21 Day Fix Taco Seasoning, or the following spices: garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, salt
- 1-2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 avocado
- Oil (I use either coconut or EVOO)
- Snip off florets from cauliflower head. Place in a food processor, and pulse gently until the cauliflower resembles rice.
- Warm a skillet on low heat. Place 1-2 tbsp. of oil in skillet to coat the bottom. Transfer the cauliflower from the food processor into the skillet, and turn the heat to medium. Add 2-3 tbsp. of water, and let the cauliflower simmer while stirring frequently. Once the water is absorbed, add the can of tomato sauce, then the heat back to low, and simmer. You can cover if you like, but stir occasionally. (Now you can either wait on the “rice” to cook, or grab another skillet to cook the remainder of the meal while the cauliflower cooks. I abhor doing dishes, so I stick to the one-skillet method.)
- Once the tomato sauce is thickened and coating the cauliflower, transfer to a bowl and keep warm. Re-coat the skillet with another 1-2 tbsp. of oil. Add in diced onions and saute until translucent. Add ground turkey and crumble while mixing in the onions.
- Season with 2-3 tbsp of taco seasoning or if using separate seasonings use the following approximate measurements:
- Garlic powder, 2 tsp
- Cumin, 1 tbsp
- Chili powder, 1-2 tsp (or to taste)
- Salt, a pinch or two to taste
- Add 2 tbsp of water or more to soak up seasonings a bit and allow turkey mixture to simmer in the seasonings. While it starts to simmer, take your ear of sweet corn and cut off the kernels. Toss into the seasoned turkey mixture. Continue to simmer until thickened while stirring occasionally.
- While everything is finishing, prep your toppings. Dice your Roma tomatoes and avocado.
- When the turkey mixture has thickened, add in the “rice”. Stir together until fully mixed.
- Place a handful of spinach leaves in the bottom of a bowl. (If you are on the 21 Day or Portion Fix plans, use one full green container of spinach.) Spoon a 1/2 cup of the turkey and rice mixture onto the spinach (1/2 a green container). Top with tomatoes and avocado. ENJOY!
Optional topping ideas:
- Shredded cheese
- Green onions
- Fresh jalapenos
- GF tortilla strips
I really hope you enjoy this. My boys LOVED this meal and there were NO leftovers for once. They didn’t even have a clue about the cauliflower “rice” either. I should get this in the meal plan again soon. I’m now hungry for it again! This is also a great prep ahead, eat later meal as well!
If you enjoyed this recipe, take a second and sign up for email updates on all my Monday Meal posts as well as any other adventure I may take on.